The headlines: Commonwealth Games in crisis: Bridge collapses and top athletes pull out as UK teams cry foul over ‘filthy’ facilities.
This headline made me shake my head….But what bowed it is some of the comments from the readers. I agree the stoners are themselves not sin-free. But why, why do we give the world every chance to laugh at us derisively? The hard work of a few is washed away by the greed of millions. I am copying some of the comments from the newspaper site, just to show what the world thinks of us. While not entirely representative, it reflects the majority. Be your own judge.
1. “Am bemused at some Indians getting offended when India is referred as a Third world country..I have been myself and can categorically without any doubt say it is most definitely a Third world filthy country.People in this country are not aware of the immense filth surrounding India just a few large buildings and big corporations and it thinks it’s a super power”
2. “and they keep saying that India has the best quality engineers that should be let into the U.K to cover shortages.
If they are so good why do they have so many construction problems.”
3. “I’m sure all the people living in squalid conditions in India would be very grateful to have the opportunity to live in this village, It is far better than where they currently have to survive. If the Indian government can build these facilities for visitors staying for just a few weeks why can’t they build them for their own people?”
4. “Oh come on!!…..They didn’t expect Clean and hygienic facilities in India did they??? You’ll be telling me they expect to win medals next!!!”
5. “I am a web developer and have often seen work outsourced to India to make savings that needs to be entirely redone and brought up to standard. I have never seen any code from India that was of an acceptable professional standard. Shoddy, insecure, outmoded, lacking best practices, inelegant, copy and pasted from dubious sources, hacked and bodged and generally a disgrace. They have a cultural difference where striving for quality and meeting professional standards is only paid lip service. I’m in no way surprised by this bridge collapsing, there’s probably dozens of bridges collapsing every day in India that escape the global spotlight.”
No matter how much we try to defend, this is indefensible. how do we explain away years of corruption, and an even bigger crime years of lethargy on part of the public to root out its evil. We vote for our politicians, we give them power, we bribe the government, we stay at home for a strike called out by any party. We hire children, we thrash the weak, we stomp on the poor, we kill our own souls.
We can’t even defend as Indians. For we are not Indian, we are Bengali, Marathi, Gujarati, Sindhi, Jat, Rajput, Tamil, Telugu! We are all that but we are NOT Indians!!!